Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting to know your kids

Want to get to know your child on a more spiritual level?

Prayer is a great way to start.
Do you know what your child is asking God for? Have you caught a glimpse of the way God is moving in your child's heart?

Praying with your child can open a whole new world of spiritual development you may not have been aware of. Here are a few questions and tips that can help you see your child through spiritual "eyes."


Questions:
  • Is there something my child prays about over and over?
  • Do my child’s prayers have a common theme, subject, or a specific person in mind?
  • What am I learning about my child by listening to his/her prayers?
  • What am I teaching my child by what I pray for?
  • How can I help my child expand his/her prayer life?
  • Am I praying for my child when I pray with my child? (Does your child know that you pray for him/her and what you pray for?)
Tips:
  • When you pray with your child, use age-appropriate language he/she can understand.
  • Teach your child persistence in prayer by praying regularly for someone or something only God can do something about.
  • Pray with your child about your own struggles.
  • Ask your child who he/she knows that could use God’s help with something.
  • Reinforce your child’s prayer by praying for your child’s concern also.
  • Regularly read the Bible with your child. Then, pray about something related to what you read together.
Not praying with your child? It’s never too late to start!
Start today!

No comments: